Fixed Steam error code 51, failed to launch game
Here is a complete guide on how to fix error code 51 on Steam. Many Steam users would have encountered error code 51. This error code is triggered when trying to launch a game on Steam. This essentially prevents a game from launching and therefore prevents you from playing the game. If you are also experiencing the same error code on Steam, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we are going to show you some functional fixes that will help you resolve the error. Let us check it out!
What causes error code 51 on Steam?
Before we discuss the actual fixes, let’s try to understand what can potentially cause this error code on Steam. Here are some of the possible reasons for error code 51 on Steam:
- This error can be the result of corrupted or missing game files causing the game to fail to launch. If applicable, you can try to verify the integrity of your game file.
- Another reason for this error can be conflicts of third-party applications. This is especially applicable to your antivirus as it can block Steam related processes and cause error 51.
- The missing Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable can also be a reason for this error. If the scenario applies, you can try to manually install Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable.
- Corrupted Steam client configuration files can also be a reason for this error. In this case, you can try refreshing the game files.
Now on to the solutions!
Fixed Steam error code 51, failed to launch game
Here are the methods to fix Steam error code 51, Game Launch Failed:
- Check the integrity of the game files.
- Disable the antivirus.
- Uninstall the conflicting third-party applications.
- Install DirectX and Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable manually.
- Update graphics drivers.
- Change the game configuration.
- Refresh the Steam files.
Now let’s develop the above solutions!
1]Check the integrity of the game files
If you are experiencing this error with specific games, chances are you are dealing with corrupt and bad game files. Steam provides a dedicated functionality to check and repair your game files. It checks, compares and replaces corrupted or missing game files with the latest game files from Steam servers. So if the reason why you are getting error code 51 when trying to launch a game, you should be able to fix it by checking the integrity of the game files.
To verify the integrity of game files in Steam, follow these steps:
- First, launch the Steam client as administrator and then click on the LIBRARY tab in the top menu bar.
- Then, right-click on the problematic game and select it Properties option.
- Now go to the Local files tab and press the Check integrity of game files option.
- After that, Steam will start checking game files and attempt to replace faulty or missing game files. The process will take a while, so be patient.
- Next, close all Steam related tasks from Task Manager and restart the Steam client as administrator.
Try running the game that was throwing error 51 and see if it is fixed now.
Read: Fixed a missing or unavailable Steam app configuration error
It is a known fact that antivirus programs interfere and block Steam related processes on suspicion of being malicious. So, try disabling your antivirus and then see if the error is fixed. If the problem is resolved, your antivirus is the main culprit. While it is not recommended to permanently disable your antivirus protection, we suggest that you add Steam to your antivirus exception list so that it does not block Steam related processes.
3]Uninstall conflicting third-party applications
The error may be due to problematic third-party applications installed on your PC which might conflict with Steam. So, try to identify the problematic applications; See if you started getting this error after recently installing an app and uninstall it to fix the problem.
See: Steam games do not launch; Stuck on preparing to launch on Windows
4]Install DirectX and Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable manually
Some games on Steam require DirectX and Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable to launch. Usually, Steam downloads and installs the package automatically when installing the game. However, it is possible that it is interrupted or stopped for various reasons causing the installation of this add-on to fail. If this is the reason for error 51 on Steam, you can try installing DirectX and Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable manually to fix the error.
Here are the steps to manually install DirectX and Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable:
First, open File Explorer and then navigate to the address below:
In the above address, replace
Here, run the executables and let the installation complete. Once the installation is complete, navigate to the following location:
Again, instead of
Once the installation process is complete, restart your PC and then see if you can launch the game on Steam without the error code 51.
See: An error occurred while installing or updating the Steam game
5]Update graphics drivers
Graphics drivers are important for running a game on your PC. If you are using outdated or faulty graphics drivers, you may encounter this error code when launching a game on Steam. Therefore, if you haven’t updated your graphics drivers for a while, consider updating your graphics drivers and then see if the error is fixed.
You can manually update graphics drivers on Windows 11 through optional Windows Updates. Apart from that, you can also visit the official website of your device manufacturer and get the latest graphics drivers from there. On top of that, you can even automatically update all of your graphics drivers using a third-party driver updater.
After updating the graphics drivers, restart your PC to see the changes. You can then try to launch the game on Steam and hope you no longer receive error code 51.
See: How to Fix Steam Error Code 83 on a Windows PC
6]Modify the game configuration
Steam engine configurations are stored on your PC, which is required by the game engine. In case these configurations are corrupted or incorrectly set, you might encounter error code 51. If the scenario applies, you can try to dump the configuration and then automatically configure the game to resolve the error. Here are the steps to change the game configuration for Steam:
- First, shut down the Steam client completely from the task manager.
- Now open the Run dialog by pressing the Windows + R keyboard shortcut.
- Then enter the command below:
- At the “Allow this website to open a program” prompt, click Allow.
- After that restart your PC and then launch the Steam client.
- On the top toolbar, go to LIBRARY tab, right click on the problematic game and tap on Properties option.
- Then go to the General tab and select “Set launcher options”.
- Finally enter -autoconfig and press OK.
See if this method fixes the problem for you. Otherwise, go to the next potential fix to resolve the error.
7]Refresh Steam files
If none of the above solutions work for you, you should consider refreshing the Steam files. Refreshing the Steam files will remove the Steam client configuration files and then reinstall them. To do this, here are the steps to follow:
- First, complete all Steam related tasks and processes by opening the task manager.
- Then you need to go to the Steam installation directory on your PC in the file explorerÅ
- Now except for the steamapps folder and the Steam.exe application file, you need to select all the other files.
- After that, delete all the selected files using the Delete button.
- Finally, restart your system and start the Steam client with administrator privileges. Hope you won’t encounter error code 51 when launching a game now.
See: How to fix Steam Error E502 L3 on a Windows PC
How do I fix error 53 on Steam?
Error code 53 is basically triggered when the Steam servers are unable to process your request. If you receive this error code, you can fix it by restarting your game, restarting your device, and checking your internet connection. If all of these general fixes don’t help, make sure the Steam servers aren’t down, turn off your antivirus, or change the download region. There are other solutions to fix Error 53 on Steam that you can check out.
Read: Fixed a Steam error while initializing or updating the transaction.
How do I fix error 130 on Steam?
Many users receive error code 130 on Steam while trying to load a web page in the Steam client, such as updates, inventory pages, and other pages. Now you can fix this error by making sure you are connected to a stable internet connection. If you’re connected to a good network and still get the error code, disable your antivirus, restart the Steam client, clear the DNS cache, or reinstall Steam. You can check out the full guide to fix error code 130 on Steam.
Now read: Fix Steam is having issues connecting to Steam servers.